AIRTO welcomes the Royal Academy of Engineering’s National Engineering Policy Centre publication highlighting the Engineering priorities for our future economy and society.
The document sets out priorities for upcoming policy and spending decisions in the UK, and proposes actions that will enable the UK to make investment decisions to create more jobs and prosperity, and meet the future needs of our society in a way that is faster, more efficient and sustainable.
The report highlights of key goals to bring about the best outcome for the UK, as we face challenges to our prosperity, security and wellbeing:
- Implement the recommendations of the Perkins Review to secure the engineering skills needed for the future
- Increase Innovate UK’s budget to boost support for business innovation and the ‘D’ of R&D to increase productivity.
- Deliver fast and resilient digital infrastructure, a thriving business environment, excellent digital skills and a diverse pipeline of workers to create a world-leading digital economy
- Deliver on the recommendations of the National Infrastructure Assessment or set out alternative plans to meet the UK’s long-term infrastructure needs
Energy and climate change
- Deliver on the UK’s ambitious climate change goals by investing in demonstration and deployment of new low carbon heat, charging of electric vehicles and carbon capture and storage technologies