AIRTO is seeking a part-time Membership Manager on secondment (location flexible).
AIRTO is a growing organisation and now makes up 80% of the UK’s innovation, research and technology (IRT) sector – up 50% since 2006. We are seeking a Membership Manager to engage with members to drive collaborative activities that foster improved business performance (e.g. sharing best practice) and raise awareness of the profile of the IRT sector and its impact on UK plc. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate clear thought leadership in developing new collaborative activities and initiatives across the AIRTO community. Furthermore they will be able to demonstrate an entrepreneurial flair in attracting potential new members to join AIRTO. It is envisaged that this role will be a part-time position, initially for approximately one day per week. The role is ideally suited to a candidate seeking a secondment opportunity from a relevant organisation (for a minimum of 6 months and ideally a year).
This role offers the opportunity for development and learning, complemented by mentoring, knowledge sharing and coaching from experienced colleagues, and working within a membership association serving a range of highly regarded IRT sector organisations.
The AIRTO Membership Manager will develop and drive member initiatives e.g. the creation of Industry Sector Interest Groups, to support our members in sharing best practice, and champion the sector to Government Departments, Agencies, industry and policy makers. The role will include:
- Building relationships with key staff from member organisations who engage with AIRTO;
- Identifying new opportunities for members to share best practice and/or collaborate;
- Maintaining a watching brief for opportunities to engage with national innovation strategies for key industry sectors e.g. agri-food, built environment, energy, transport etc.;
- Assisting initiatives to research, analyse/evaluate and build the evidence base to demonstrate the strength of the IRT sector, by liaising with our members to source success stories, e.g. for inclusion in AIRTO consultation responses, opinion pieces and policy material;
- Developing and enhancing member initiatives and platforms which collectively project the IRT community to Government and industry e.g. through stimulating Industry Sector Interest Group initiatives and activities;
- Recruiting organisations to join AIRTO.
The AIRTO Membership Manager will report to AIRTO’s Director of Operations.
The candidate should be educated to degree level (minimum), preferably in a scientific, engineering, policy or economics discipline. Experience of working in the IRT sector, and having an understanding of the key industrial sectors and science/technology areas for the UK would be an advantage but is not essential. Evidence of an ability to drive development of new initiatives, and an ability to ‘sell’ ideas is desirable. The candidate should have a strong interest in promoting the importance of the sector for the UK. Strong and confident verbal and written communication skills are essential, as is a proven aptitude to negotiate and influence others. The successful candidate will be able to invoke confidence and credibility in their understanding of members’ businesses and the industry sectors that they operate in.
AIRTO is the foremost membership body for organisations operating in the UK’s IRT sector.
The IRT sector provides vital services for a wide range of industries and companies, both large and small. This support accelerates growth, aids competitiveness and anchors high value activities in the UK. The value of this activity was recently identified and documented in a 2014 report commissioned by AIRTO and undertaken by Oxford Economics, which found that our sector:
- has tripled turnover to £6.9bn per annum since 2006, generating over £32bn impact
- contributes >2.3% UK Gross Value Added
- consumes just 0.3% of UK Government spend!
- employs >57,000 people, equal to the total academic staff of the Russell Group, and more than Germany’s Fraunhofer Institutes
To apply for this opportunity please email your curriculum vitae to Jane Gate by 30 July 2015. Informal inquiries are welcomed.
+44 (0)208 943 6354